The role of the Administrator
The Administrator of the National Health Funding Pool is an independent statutory office holder, distinct from Commonwealth and state and territory government departments. The Administrator is not subject to the control or direction of any Commonwealth Minister.
The position of Administrator was established by the National Health Reform Amendment (Administrator and National Funding Body) Act 2012 (external link, opens in a new window) [http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/bill/nhraanhfbb2012706/] which amended the National Health Reform Act 2011 (external link, opens in a new window) [http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/C2012C00746], and by the relevant legislation of each state and territory (see Relevant legislation). The Administrator is appointed by the Council of Australian Governments Health Council (formerly the Standing Council on Health (SCoH)).
The role of the Administrator, with support from the National Health Funding Body, is to administer the National Health Funding Pool according to the National Health Reform Agreement and relevant legislation, to oversee payments into and out of the state pool account for each state and territory, and to report on various funding and service delivery matters.
The Administrator is responsible for:
- Calculating and advising the Commonwealth Treasurer of the amounts to be paid by the Commonwealth into each pool account of the National Health Funding Pool;
- Ensuring Commonwealth funds are deposited into pool accounts accordingly and in line with the Agreement;
- Ensuring that state and territory deposits into pool accounts, and payments from the pool accounts to local hospital networks are made in accordance with directions from the responsible State or Territory Minister, and in line with the Agreement;
- Reconciling estimated and actual hospital service volumes, including advising the Commonwealth Treasurer on any amounts to be paid based on this reconciliation; and
- Reporting publicly on all national health reform funding and payment activities.
The Administrator, Mr Peter Achterstraat, was appointed on 23 February 2016. Prior to this Mr Kim Snowball was the Acting Administrator from 1 August 2015 and Mr Bob Sendt was the Administrator from 1 January 2013 and Acting Administrator from 27 June 2012.