The role of the Administrator
The Administrator of the National Health Funding Pool (the Pool) is an independent statutory office holder, distinct from Commonwealth and State and Territory government departments.
The position of Administrator was established by the National Health Reform Amendment (Administrator and National Funding Body) Act 2012 (external link, opens in a new window) [http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/bill/nhraanhfbb2012706/] which amended the National Health Reform Act 2011 (external link, opens in a new window) [http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/C2012C00746], and by the relevant legislation of each state and territory (see Relevant legislation)
The Administrator, with support from the National Health Funding Body (NHFB), is responsible for the oversight, administration and provision of advice on the Pool and associated funding arrangements according to the National Health Reform Agreement and relevant legislation. Both entities, in undertaking their roles, are independent of governments and are not subject to Ministerial direction.
The key functions of the Administrator, with the support of the NHFB are as follows:
- To accurately and in a timely manner calculate and advise the Commonwealth on Commonwealth funding contributions to the Pool.
- To undertake best practice financial administration of the Pool, including:
- ensuring the integrity of the payments system
- that Commonwealth and States and Territories payments are made in the correct amounts and timing
- that payments to Local Hospital Networks from the Pool are in accord with government directions
- reconciling between estimated and actual volumes of services and payments.
- To provide effective reporting on the funding and funding arrangements, both monthly and annually, and to ensure transparency in the operation of the Pool.
- To maintain productive and effective relations with stakeholders and strategic partners, including all Australian Governments, the Independent Hospitals Pricing Authority, the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare and the Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Health Care.
The Administrator is appointed by the Council of Australian Governments Health Council, consisting of health Ministers of the Commonwealth and all States and Territories. The current Administrator, Mr Michael Lambert, was appointed as the Administrator on 17 July 2018. Previous Administrator’s include:
- Mr Peter Achterstraat from 23 February 2016 until 31 March 2018.
- Mr Kim Snowball was the Acting Administrator from 1 August 2015.
- Mr Bob Sendt was the Administrator from 1 January 2013 and the Acting Administrator from 27 June 2012.